Tuesday, May 17, 2016

May 17, 2016.

For a long time I have resisted writing a blog. I like to write, don't get me wrong, but I also thought of it as just another thing to keep up with. I'm a converted journaler, starting about 3 years ago when I was in a very transitional period in my life and The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron jumped off of my friend's bookshelf and into my waiting arms. For me, this blog has been a long-time coming. Really, I have been 'blogging' all along, but it has been in the safety and security of my paper and pen journal with the inspirational owl, quote, or other designer visual on the cover. Nothing public.

I'm more comfortable in the visual realm rather than the written one. Text forces you to explain in a way that pictures do not. I struggle with being concise with words. Ironically, my journal is full of words, not drawings, and the words laid there have been incredibly helpful for me to be able to clarify my thoughts, my reflections.

My paintings have always been about connections. I think that longing for connection is what drives me to begin blogging as well. One of my favorite quotes is from Belgian painter, Luc Tuymans. He supposedly said, "The job of the ambitious painter is to paint the unrepresentable." I love this because that is what I strive to do in my artwork...paint the unrepresentable. Meanwhile, my words on this page will try to explain anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment