Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Below is an excerpt from journal today, getting back from Georgia trip, in which I have neither journaled nor blogged during my time there. Sometimes on an extended trip(like a week or longer), immersing oneself in the experience is enough to "process" the days, choosing to reflect later at home. By that time, most of the thoughts have come and gone. No sense in rehashing all of that.

Before I get to the excerpt, however, I want to tell you what I think this blog is about. At least for now. "Musings" indicates thoughts about somethings that I feel like writing about in that moment. Considering, though, that this is mostly an art and art-based blog, I am inclined to write about my process. However, another thought is that life relates directly to art..how I process things that seemingly have nothing to do with art directly often, and many times subconsciously, make their way into my paintings.

This excerpt is not one of those times, and does directly speak to art. Mostly.

5/31
Contemplating my list to do , including some yard work--namely, the weed wacker to free up some space that is quickly closing up. Paths, smaller plants getting swallowed. Studio to work on the birds. Want to get them in the kiln by the time I leave (for the next trip). Maybe. Don't want to rush things, and can't glaze until I go to Stockbridge, maybe tomorrow. Who knows if they will get finished at this rate. At Decatur Arts Fest I got a couple of ideas--frame building, not really a new thought, but maybe interesting. Bought I piece with a white moth photo with encaustic over it by Mikel Robinson www.mikelrobinson.com mounted on an old piece of moulding, then a cut out of wood with some design on it over the top. They had some various other ones, larger, different additions and such. Some with metal. Maybe a tad rustic for my stuff, but I could tweak it a bit. The problem is that I don't have the tools for all of that. I could see building a frame and glazing clay pieces and gluing them on the frame? The vintage frame that I've been doing is still the most appealing at this point.

As I look out, there is a chipmunk sitting in the bird tree. I didn't think they climbed trees.




No comments:

Post a Comment