Sunday, February 19, 2017

“The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.” 
― Robert F. Kennedy

For a long time, I have been looking for my purpose. This seeking, continuously searching quest is life-long. I believe these opportunities to find purpose present themselves much more often when a person is open and grateful. If we take action, even if it is small, we have the power to affect greater change for the better. The Universe is extremely generous if we let it be.

I am moving from my hiatus from (active) artmaking back into the fold, having given a lot of thought to where I want to go with it, and I came to the realization that my purpose is to utilize my talents to do what Robert Kennedy said, so simply and eloquently,  to 'contribute to make things better.'

Given the current state of affairs in America, it is easy to get bogged down with negative thoughts. I have gone to sleep many nights being plagued with stress and outrage. Many times I am, and continue to be, overwhelmed. Taking small, positive actions can help manage these thoughts, and I have really thought about where I want to put my energy regarding this vital push back against the machine of fear, intimidation, and destruction.

So, I have spent the last few months reflecting, being open and communicating to the Universe. I have applied to 3 artist residencies, taken an oil painting class, started my scuba certification, and done a lot of reading; all of which led me to deeply exploring marine conservation and what my contribution as an artist could be.

This week, I am finally getting back into the studio to paint with my new medium: oil paint. It's always difficult to jump back in, to get that groove back. But I am ready and excited to see what this next exploration brings to light.


No comments:

Post a Comment